WHAT IS A EUREKA CLUSTER?
Initiated by European industry, EUREKA Clusters are long-term and strategically significant initiatives that develop technologies of key importance for European competitiveness. Addressing the needs of both large companies and SMEs, they are the engine for industrial innovation and economic growth.
Clusters catalyse the generation of innovative, industry-driven, near to the market and pre-competitive R&D projects in their respective domains. Through their industrial representation, EUREKA Clusters have a prominent and active role to play in bringing innovation to the market.
The Cluster instrument reflects synergies where European industry’s research and collaboration interests, innovation capacity - and national funding opportunities meet.
WHY JOIN OR CREATE A CLUSTER?
EUREKA Clusters are long-term, industry-led initiatives. They pursue an objective of strategic significance for the European economy in a particular domain. They are public-private partnerships with broad industrial participation, aiming to foster innovation.
The EUREKA Clusters are essential in order to:
- Accelerate the introduction of R&D&I results to the market;
- Share research and development costs and results;
- Facilitate consortia involving partners along the entire value chain
- Create an industrial network for long term win-win collaboration.
Key steps in setting up a EUREKA Cluster project include:
- Select a Cluster: participate in one of Cluster Information Days.
- Develop a project idea and submit a project outline* to the Clusters Offices. See the cluster calls deadlines
- Initial assessment: Clusters will perform the overall evaluation of each submitted proposal in tight collaboration with the Public authorities.
- Submit a Full proposal
- Cluster label is awarded to your proposal, which entitles you to submit your funding application to the funding body of your country. Clusters will facilitate contacts.
- Launch your project: start your project!
- Support: feel free to contact the Cluster secretariat for specific questions or concerns.
*some Clusters do not go through a PO phase.
EUREKA Cluster projects are completed and evaluated following each Cluster’s internal procedures.
For more information please read our EUREKA Cluster report: the EUREKA Clusters : Essential Instruments for Global Competitiveness.
Interested in creating a EUREKA Cluster? Contact the EUREKA Secretariat for more information.